Larissa Howatt – Winner 2011/12
The winner of the Tracy Hunter Memorial Award this year is Larissa Howatt. For the past 2 years, Larissa has been a very dedicated environmental leader at Pauline Johnson Collegiate. She served as co-minister of the environment, a first for our school. In this position, combined with participating in the Eco-club and Eco-School committee, she has been one of the main student leaders behind our school achieving its gold certified eco-school status. She is a person who has given an extraordinary amount of time to planning and instituting environmental practices. She has been involved in neighbourhood clean-ups, tree planting, recycling audits and anti-idling campaigns to name a few. Her dedication in promoting environmental initiatives at our school and in the community is exemplary.
Larissa’s involvement and accomplishments include:
• Co-minister of the Environment on Students’ Council
• e3 Program graduate – Specialist High Skills Major Program
• Eco-school Committee student representative
• Eco-club leader and member
• Earth Day Project committee member
• Brant Water Festival student leader
• Youth Service Director – Helped run Earth Hour for the City of Brantford
• C.S.I. leader that helped grade 9 students transition to high school
• Member of Best Buddies – an outreach program for students with learning difficulties
• Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training – assisting students who are contemplating suicide
• White Pine Book Club Member
• PJ Spotlight award winner
Next year Larissa plans to continue her studies at Fleming College, focusing on Ecological Restoration.