Jonathon Jorna – Winner 2010/11
Jon is a very deserving winner of this award and scholarship in its inaugural year. He is a very dedicated student who has demonstrated a tremendous commitment to environmental studies and stewardship during his time at Pauline Johnson Collegiate. He has always maintained an honours academic average and has also worked diligently in his spare time on numerous school and community endeavors related to the environment.
Jon’s involvement and accomplishments include:
* Member of the Envirothon team, which competed at the Ontario Provincial Championships
* Member of the environmental club
* Youth president of the Branlyn Neighbourhood Association, coordinated “Earth Hour” for the City of Brantford
* Apps Mill Nature Center COOP student with the Grand River Conservation Authority
* Member of Students’ Council
* Student leader for grade 8 orientation activities
* Member of curling team
* Top mark in the “e3” environmental leadership program
* Awards – PJ School Pride Award, School Council Volunteering Award, Lieutenant Governor’s Volunteering Pin, Wael Audi Award for Leadership, PJ Spotlight Award, Senior Instrumental Music Award
* Participated in the Silver Creek reforestation, and the Mohawk Park prairie restoration projects
* Ontario Stewardship Ranger
Even more impressive is the way that Jon tackles all challenges with courage and determination. He is a person with obvious environmental knowledge and leadership skill, coupled with a sincere willingness to pitch in for the betterment of his community.
Next year Jon plans to continue his education at the University of Waterloo, majoring in Environmental Studies.